Saturday, July 11, 2009

Day 5 (Day of Hope)











Today was definitely a well needed breath of fresh air. I can safely say, it was a turning point for me. One word we had to keep in mind this trip was "flexibilty," which seemed almost impossible in some cases. Originally, our day was supposed to start at 9:00 AM visiting the Dump Ministry to pass out food bags. As a last minute change of plans, we were directed to the Community Center, where they gather for church and community activities. Walking off the bus into the room, I could already feel the love coming from that building. A few days ago, we stopped at the local grocery store and bought black beans, rice, flour, and sugar for each family who attended the community center church. After spending time with the kids and families, we passed out the bags of food. It was a very emotional experience as each family came up to get their food. They gave each of us a hug and kiss and a "God bless you" We ended our time there in a big circle, with a prayer and song. Later, I found out they were singing something along the lines of, "we are a blessed community, because we have the love of God in our hearts." Just thinking back, I would have never experienced that if I didnt have flexibilty in mind.








After that, we went to the BEST place of the whole trip. A transitional home that the Buckner staff had funded. The ones currently living there moved there from the Manchen house. They get to move to the transitional home if they show promise, or respond in good behavior. They were so well behaved, greeted us with hugs. There was no VBS scheduled for today, it was just a hang out day with the girls which was just a blessing. It was just very moving to see that there is some hope for the girls in the Manchen house, who didnt seem very promising. It's always great to see, at each place, the girls that instantly attach to you. It was very hard to leave them.








We then went to a baby home for our last visit of the trip. Just about 45 minutes to love and hug on all the babies and toddlers there. One boy has been in the process of being adopted by and American family who lives in Indians. This process has been put on hold for 2 years since adoption turned into baby selling in Guatemala. The family visits the boy almost every month.








Over all during this trip, I've learned to not take my family for granted. To appreciate that I have someone to love and care for me each and everyday. I've learned that everyone needs someone. I've learned to love my sisters. Like we all said tonight, I didnt think it was possible to love them anymore but I do.








Thanks for letting me share this experience with you all.

2 comments:

  1. thank you for another wonderful update post. The faces of the children are so precious. What an unforgettable impact you are leaveing on these lives..one you may never know till we all get to heaven!

    ReplyDelete