Thursday, July 9, 2009

DAY 3

"It was the best of times....it was the worst of times." This describes how we are all feeling. Every day has been amazing and at the same time, emotionally difficult. We have developed these immediate connections with the children we are meeting. We want to hug and love on each and every one. But of course, for each of us, there have been those special few that have crept deep into our hearts and if it was possible, we would not be leaving them behind.
.
This morning we visited a community center with boys and girls 4 to 7 years old. Oh my gosh, they were so full of fun and joy. After some of our planned activities, the children wanted to perform some dances for us. It was like they wanted to gift us back. We gave so very little compared to the way the kids lavished US with their love and affection. When we got ready to leave, every single child hugged and kissed each team member. I don't know if I have ever experienced a kiss as sweet as theirs. And then they waited outside to wave good-bye as we left. Thinking about them, I am both smiling and crying....happy that I am carrying them in my heart and deeply sad that our time together was so short.
.
This afternoon, we went back to the Remar home to work with teen girls, age 13 to 18 years. The girls were typical teens, yet not so typical. Looking at their beautiful faces, all we could think about was what they have to cope with in their lives and what their futures may bring. Again, each of us developed bonds very quickly with the girls. One thing that we have seen consistently is that the kids love to have their pictures taken. They pose for the camera and then quickly want to see what the photo will look like. All of us left feeling like we wished we could have given more, done more. Have we made a difference to them? I know that they have stamped themselves forever into our hearts.
.
Amy said, it is hard to find the words to express how we are feeling. Our hearts are so full, yet there is this ache that has no cure. We have given of ourselves, yet what we have given seems so little....we all want to do so much more. This has been very satisfying and very frustrating all at the same time. I know that there is so much I want to share with you all, yet things I am not done keeping between me and the Lord for now.
.
We are all grateful for your continued prayers and love. I never knew how much we would really need to count on that while we are here. Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. oh friends.... my heart is aching with your aching hearts and my heart is rejoicing with your rejoicing hearts. God has called each of you for something extraordinary and that is the best of all. love to all of you. praying.... xoxo

    ReplyDelete